Tired of going through painful waxing appointments or frequent shaving sessions? If you nodded yes, then you are not alone. I know I’m tired of spending hours on shaving and waxing.
So, is there a permanent solution? Yes. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) hair removal treatments is an FDA-approved, long-term solution for minimizing and ultimately stopping hair growth.
It works on the principle that light energy is absorbed by high-pigmented areas like hair, which are then heated up. The heat then damages the follicle, eventually slowing down hair growth.
However, unlike laser treatments, which comprise of just one particular wavelength, IPL has multiple wavelengths that get absorbed within the skin. The technology uses a hand-held, high-powered device that delivers an intense light pulse.
IPL treatments work best for those with dark hair, as those with thicker and darker hair absorb the light much better, thereby giving better results.
We took a look at all of the top home laser hair removal devices on the market, and put together a comprehensive review here. Today, we’ll take a closer look at the SmoothSkin Gold 300 Intelligent IPL Hair Removal System.
Review of the Smoothskin Gold 300 IPL Device
- 94% of users experience permanent hair reduction!
- Suitable for use on both the face and body.
- Produces quick results – A full body treatment takes around 20 minutes.
- The device quickly adapts to the various skin tones (5 levels), including sensitive areas.
- The smart built-in technology delivers the appropriate treatment with every shot, measuring your skin’s tone to around 80 times every second
- Clinically tested and deemed effective for long-term hair growth reduction
- The product includes up to 300,000 flashes, enough for 15 years of treatment!
- The device comes with a two-year manufacturer warranty
- Professional support provided by SmoothSkin, excellent web resources along with a treatment calendar application
- In general, the product doesn’t seem to be as effective as some of the other more powerful devices on the market. The consumer reviews support this. However, it’s a very good option for the price range.
- Doesn’t come with as many convenient attachments as some of the higher end devices, likes the Philips Lumea Prestige.
Suitable Skin Tones and Body Hair Colors
You can use the SmoothSkin Gold 300 on black, brown, dark brown, dark blonde hair colors. Plus, you can also use it on light to medium dark skin tones.
However, you cannot use it on red, light blonde, white or grey hair as well as brownish black and darker skin tones. In addition to that, the product should not be used on black or brown spots such as moles, warts, and birthmarks.
This is normal for IPL devices. Due to the way the device works, darker skin tones can absorb too much light, causing burns. But there are other options available for dark skin.
What To Expect?
When you buy the SmoothSkin Gold 300 Intelligent IPL Hair Removal System, you can expect the package to contain the following items:
- The main SmoothSkin Gold 300 hair removing the device
- Power adaptor and 190 cm long cables
- Black satin Storage pouch
- A user guide manual
- Quick start guide
While this kit doesn’t include some of the handy attachments that higher-end devices include, it definitely comes with everything you need to get started!
Specs and Features
The machine is good for up to 300,000 flashes, which means it should last for 15+ years! The company itself recommends a total of 12 weekly treatments to achieve results.
After the 6th week, you should start noticing some form of reduction and once 11 weeks have passed, the results should be drastic. Then follow up with regular touch-ups to maintain smooth and hairless results.
SmoothSkin advises against using the device on the recently tanned skin, which includes artificial tans. Once you are done with your treatments, you should also use an SPF 15+ sunscreen and cover up to avoid unprotected sun exposure.
That’s because your skin is extra vulnerable after it is tanned, and that elevates the risk of IPL-induced side effects, such as blisters, burns, scarring, and discoloration. Your skin is more delicate after your IPL treatments as well so there is a higher risk of getting a sunburn if you step out.
The ergonomic design makes it easy to grip and operate the device. Plus, the treatments are incredibly fast so you don’t get exhausted or feel any strain on your hands.
The SmoothSkin 300 IPL has a 3 cm² window for treatment and the flashes occur every 1 to 2 seconds, depending on the level of energy used. This is pretty average – some of the more expensive devices offer larger treatment areas, which speeds things up. But this is perfectly sufficient if you have a little patience.
All in all, the SmoothSkin Gold 300 Intelligent IPL Hair Removal System is a great option if you’re looking to get started with a permanent hair removal system.
It comes from a reputable brand, that can be relied on for safety. If you’re looking to invest a little more, something like the Philips Lumea Prestige can help you get the job done a bit more quickly and comfortably.
But if you’re simply looking for a solid device to get you started with laser hair removal, the SmoothSkin is a fantastic choice.