Hair removal can be quite a chore. Among the numerous methods available to get rid of unwanted hair, IPL and laser are the only two options that deliver permanent results.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) works on the principle that light energy is absorbed by high-pigmented areas like your bodily hair, which are then heated up. The heat then damages the follicle, ultimately slowing down hair growth and eventually preventing it overall.
IPL hair removal devices offer far greater coverage as compared to laser. This may mean that treatment times are far quicker since larger areas can be treated in one shot. In addition to that, they may also be significantly more cost-effective.
We recently took a look at all the top home laser hair removal devices on the market in this comprehensive review. And today, we’ll take a closer look at the CosBeauty IPL device.
Review of the CosBeauty IPL Device
- FDA-approved – the exclusive Sensor Adapt skin sensor makes sure the right light intensity is delivered for the most effective and safest use.
- Quick flash rate enables treatments to be completed in no time. A whole arm or leg treatment takes about 8 minutes, without compromising the effectiveness.
- Very cost-effective in the long-run.
- More affordable option compared to other IPL devices
- Clinically tested for effective and safe use at home
- During the clinical trial, 94% of women reported seeing noticeable results after just 3 months of use, and 89% of women experienced a visible decrease in hair growth even a year after the last treatment.
- After 4 to 6 months of usage, you will see a noticeable reduction in hair growth as well as prevention of new hair growth, with long lasting and efficient results.
- Must be plugged in for use, which can be inconvenient when maneuvering around your body.
- Not as powerful as many of the other IPL devices on the market. It will likely take more treatments, over a long time period, to achieve long term results.
- There was one case of device explosion reported in consumer reviews. However, the outer plastic was left unharmed and nobody was hurt. Still – this makes me a little nervous.
- Some consumers report having trouble with efficacy on olive skin tones. While all IPL devices have some restrictions on suitable skin tones, this is a bit unusual.
Suitable Skin Tones and Body Hair Colors
You can use the CosBeauty IPL device on black, brown, dark brown, dark blonde hair colors. You can also use it on light to medium dark skin tones.
However, you cannot use it on red, light blonde, white or grey hair as well as brownish black and darker skin tones. In addition to that, the product should not be used on black or brown spots such as moles, warts, and birthmarks.
And as mentioned above, some users have reported issues using the CosBeauty device even on olive skin tones, which is a bit restrictive.
There are other options available for darker skin tones.
What To Expect?
When you purchase the CosBeauty IPL system, you can expect the package to contain the following items:
- CosBeauty Hair Removal device
- 1 hair removal treatment lamp
- 1 pair of safety glasses
- A user guide manual
- Quick start guide
This device is an excellent substitute for traditional hair removal methods like shaving, waxing, gels, and creams, and delivers quick results. It comes with a sleek, user-friendly design.
The inclusion of safety glasses is a nice feature, and is especially useful if you plan to use the device on your face.
Directions For Usage
When using the CosBeauty IPL, you will need to keep the device plugged in all the time. The recommended voltage is between 100V – 240V. To be on the safe side, make sure to carefully go through the instruction manual before using the device.
- Ensure that the area to be treated is free of excess hair and dirt
- While using the device, don’t pull the plug out
- To start the device, push the Power Button, and the power indicator will flash in red light. To ensure that the device is suitable for treatment, it is critical to first test the device with the Skin Sensor.
- If you are ready to begin the treatment after testing out the device, choose your desired intensity level. For the initial treatment, levels 1 to 2 are recommended. As your skin adapts to the device, you can play around with the intensity level to see what works best for you.
- For the initial 4 treatments, you can use the device once on a bi-weekly basis. For quick results, go for 6 to 8 treatments (for women), and 8 to 10 treatments (for men). Remember to moisturize your skin after completing the treatment.
So is the CosBeauty IPL device a good buy?
It really depends on what you’re looking for. This is an entry-level device, with features that are appropriate for it’s price range. If you’re looking to get started quickly with a basic laser hair removal device at home, the CosBeauty IPL Device is a solid option.
However, if you’re willing to invest a little bit more, there are other devices that offer more convenience and quicker results. Check out our full review of IPL devices to see them all!