Hair removal can be a frustrating and often expensive experience. If you’re like us, you’ll have tried a bunch of different methods until you find what works best for you. Waxing started to get too expensive and we were sick of having to wait for hair to grow back, shaving was followed by stubble and an endless re-buying of blades. Finally we tried the epilator.
These handy devices come in all shapes and sizes. Some are better for your face and sensitive areas, some your legs, and some for a whole body groom. Whatever your need, we’ll help you find exactly what you’re looking for through our epilator reviews. Whether you’re a first-timer or a seasoned pro, we’ve made a comprehensive guide of the best epilators on the market.
|Braun Silk Epil 9||If you want hassle-free epilation, this one's for you. Easily the best on the market.||See the best price online!||$$$||10/10|
|Braun Silk Epil 7||A feature-packed all rounder that epilates body and face. Wet & dry.||12% off!||$$$||9/10|
|Philips Satinelle HP6401||The number 1 seller online. Corded and hard to beat for quality.||32% off!||$||9/10|
|Braun Silk Epil 5||Arguably the best corded epilator on the market!||15% off!||$$||9/10|
|Braun Face 830||The best in facial eplation. Includes a facial cleansing brush that really makes this device great.||19% off!||$$$||9/10|
|Panasonic ES-ED90||One of our all time favourites. Wet & Dry. Does everything you need it to and more!||36% off!||$$$||9/10|
|Emjoi Epi Slim||The perfect travel epilator. Battery operated and lightweight. Great for sensitive areas.||See the best price online!||$||8/10|
|Braun Silk Epil 3||An older Silk Epil model but still extremely effective.||15% off!||$||7/10|
|Emjoi eRase e60||One of the most reliable brands in the business. A very solid epilator. Available in many colors.||60% off!||$||8/10|
|Epilady Legend||Can be used corded or cordless. The original epilator brand and still one of the most popular.||25% off!||$$||8/10|
|Remington EP7030||Can contend with the best at a lower price. Wet & dry, face & body, 2 speeds.||34% off!||$||8/10|
|Emjoi Soft Caress Gold||24k Gold plated hypoallergenic tweezers. Works corded and cordless. Absolute luxury.||14% off!||$$||7/10|
|Philips Satin Perfect Deluxe||Hypoallergenic and very easy to clean. An epilator worthy of its pricetag.||27% off!||$$$||9/10|
|Braun Silk Epil 7 Dual||The popular Braun Silk Epil 7 but with a couple of extra attachments.||34% off!||$$$||9/10|
What is an epilator?
An epilator is an electrical device similar to a shaver. Though instead of simply slicing the hairs it uses many small tweezers to pull hairs from the root. Between 20 and 72 of these tweezers rotate on the head of the device and grab multiple hairs at a time.
The very first epilator was designed and produced in Israel in the 80’s. It worked by the use of a rotating coil spring, but due to the continuous flexing of the spring they tended to break fairly easily. This led to the design of the rotating disc epilator, which was subject to much litigation due to its similarity to the original. The case was lost which allowed for a flourishing of innovation in epilator technology, and the fantastic hair killers we have today!
Epilators are now streamlined for efficient and pain reduced grooming. They have hypoallergenic ceramic disks to reduce irritation, massagers to reduce pain and specialized devices for certain parts of your body.
Advantages of Epilating
There are many advantages of epilating over waxing or shaving.
- You stay hairless for longer. The same principle applies with waxing. Hair is pulled from the root as opposed to being cut down as close to the skin as possible. This means that it takes much longer for the hair to even reach the surface of the skin, let alone grow out enough be visible or touchable on your body.
- Its much cleaner. We all know how messy waxing can be and shaving isn’t much better. Epilating doesn’t require any creams or liquids and some devices even have chambers that catch falling hairs. Admittedly, getting a professional wax is the cleanest option as you’ll be doing it outside of your home but that brings me to my next point.
- Its way cheaper. An epilator can be a considerable up-front investment, but the long-term savings are absolutely worth it. No more buying razors or creams, no more booking expensive appointments. Everything you need is right there for you as soon as you feel you need it.
- Its better for your skin. Shaving involves running a sharp blade across your skin repeatedly and you constantly run the risk of razor burn or cutting yourself. Waxing also removes a layer of skin cells with the hair and can cause irritation and redness.
- It works everywhere. Most epilators can be used anywhere on your body. There are some that specialise in more sensitive areas, but the majority can be used on your face, underarms, bikini line, legs, anywhere!
How do I find the best epilator for me?
When you are shopping for an epilator, there are a number of factors you should take into account:
- Corded or Cordless: There are benefits to both options. A cordless epilator will allow you to have the benefit of portability and ease of use when traveling. If you have a wet & dry epilator, you’ll be able to use it in the shower, which in our opinion is a huge advantage (please don’t use corded epilators anywhere near water!).
The corded epilator negates one of the huge downsides to the cordless type, battery life.
Most cordless epilators last from 30 minutes to an hour after being charged. If you can get the job done in that time then there’s nothing to worry about, but if not then you’ll have a problem. With a corded epilator you don’t have to think about recharging and the battery may last longer than rechargeable ones.
- Battery or Rechargeable: If you decide to go for a cordless epilator, then you can either have one that’s battery powered or one with a rechargeable battery built in. Battery epilators are normally the cheaper models. These kinds of epilators are great for taking on holiday with you but we don’t highly recommend them for regular use. The main reason being that they tend to eat through batteries quite quickly, making the money you saved in buying an epilator go straight to triple As!
The better option would be the rechargeable battery epilators. Most of the time these are waterproof and are super easy to use anywhere on your body (especially without a cord to get in the way!). As long as you’re vigilant with charging, we think these are by far the best choice.
- Wet & Dry: The question between wet and dry is a question of convenience. Epilating with dry hair and skin is undeniably more effective, as the hairs aren’t weighed down by water nor do they stick to your skin. You will definitely be epilating for less time when you’re working with a dry leg, but the ability to epilate in the shower is pretty invaluable. Not only does the warm water soothe the skin and reduce the pain, but also it’s cleaner.
What About The Pain?
We so often hear about the terrors of epilation pain, but the truth is it’s something our bodies can get used to surprisingly well. I won’t lie, the first time epilating isn’t a very fun experience but if you keep at it, it will definitely get much much better. Some of the lucky few hardly experience any pain at all. Check out our article here to find out How to Reduce Epilation Pain.
Top 5 Epilator Reviews
All 5 of these epilators are fantastic. The differences lie in features, functionality and quality. Of course there are price differences too, but these often come with increased quality and added benefits.
On top of a very solid and well-built epilator, there are a number of features included that make this the all-rounder that it is.
It has a pivoting head, making epilating any part of your body immeasurably easy. There is a smart light that illuminates any of those tiny hairs that may slip by unnoticed, and there is even a high frequency massager that aims to stimulate the skin and reduce pain.
This machine is perfect for beginners and pros. It has 5 included caps making it suitable for the whole body and uses 40-tweezer technology to make sure you’re as smooth as you can be.
If you’re looking for a reliable, multi talented epilator that is held in high regard by the beauty community, then this is the one for you.
If you’re not looking for a cordless epilator that can be used in the shower, then it’s recommended you go for a corded epilator. The reason we say this is because with a cordless epilator the battery life is usually a little pathetic (depending of course on the quality of the device you buy). The worst thing that can happen is if you are epilating and when you’re halfway done the epilator dies on you. This never happens with a corded epilator.
The Philips Satinelle is arguably the best corded epilator there is. It is extremely popular for a reason. Not only does it hold up as a worthy device standalone, it also comes with some great features that make it so good. It has a 2 speed setting that allows you to get those more sensitive areas without using the full power of the machine, it is extremely easy to clean and comes with an attachable efficiency cap.
It is usable for both females and males and will keep you hairless for weeks on end. It can’t be used underwater but the head is washable, and you’ll get a much better result epilating dry anyway.
As far as mid-range epilators go, the Emjoi AP-18 is a great option. You won’t be spending a lot for a big name brand, but will be getting a strong device. It’s a larger epilator than most, but when you pick it up you can feel that it’s of good quality.
This model is good for both men and women, as you can see by the unisex design. It houses a whopping 72 tweezers, made to be second to none in efficiency. It is the first epilator in the world to offer Silver Ion Technology, which is a fancy way of saying it provides antimicrobial protection – there’s no way you’ll get an infection.
The AP-18 is dry only. Meaning you won’t be able to use it in the shower, but with 72 tweezers and the increased efficiency of dry epilation you’ll be getting a hard to beat experience. We recommend this epilator if you don’t mind the dry-only aspect of it and want fast, effective epilation.
The ES-ED90 is the one epilator that really gives the Braun a run for its money. It may not be as high selling an epilator as the Braun, but its reviews are almost all 5 star. If you are looking to find a top of the line epilator that will last you a long time, we highly recommend this one. A lot of companies these days tend to make lots of different models with different features so that people buy more, but Panasonic have put all their technology into this one device. The result is a fantastic epilator that can do more than most other epilators put together.
The ES-ED90 is a full body device. It is suited to work on your legs, your arms, your bikini line, and underarms. Technically it isn’t built for facial epilation (our next recommended epilator is perfect for that), though many have no problems epilating their face with it. One of our favourite features that can’t be found on other epilators is the pedicure buffer. This great little addition has gotten a lot of use, and lasts a surprising amount of time.
Compared to other epilators it has great battery life, is easy to use, and is of the highest quality.
The Emjoi Epi Slim made our list due to its perfect place as a travel epilator. It’s battery powered, has an ultra slim design and is far cheaper than any of the other options. While we do consider it a great epilator for home use, if you’re going on holiday or travel frequently then this is the option for you.
The Epi Slim is built for the more sensitive areas of the body: the upper lip, the chin, the underarms, and the bikini line. For these parts it is a great little machine. It is definitely capable of doing the legs, but with only 9 tweezers, it could take a while.
We love this epilator because it’s different. It’s one of the few battery powered models that can really hold its own. Normally we’d steer clear of a battery powered epilator due to the fact that they tend to run out quickly with excessive use, but when away from home this is the best model to bring.
We also recommend this if perhaps you prefer waxing or shaving your legs. For everywhere else, you can’t go wrong with this epilator.
Check out these great resources for extra opinions!
- Excellent video guide by muchelleb.
- 6 Reasons to Epilate!
- How Effective Are Epilators? by our friends over at Livestrong.
- Waxing vs Epilating. Also check out our own Waxing vs Epilating Guide!
- Of course, the Wikipedia on epilating.